Wednesday, October 10, 2007


What man is a man who doesn’t change for the better, the world he lives in?

Reflecting on this statement I am compelled to say that not only do I personally strive to live this, I am fortunate to have friends with the same mind set. Today that was proven more than once. My “world” (circle of life) was strengthened today. First, by my friend Art Harfman. As some of you may know I had a wreck last year on “Jazz”, a horse I was breaking. Besides a bruised ego, and few sore bones I also I ended up with a fear of riding that I couldn’t seem to shake. In my stressed out mind only my old Quarter Horse “Bud” was safe. Earlier this year I bought a very well bred Foundation Quarter Horse. He is an incredible dun gelding, but only ground broke. I saved and saved and finally sent him to Rod Lewis a trainer Art recommended. When I went to get him Rod showed me the results and I was amazed. Rod had put an incredible “stop” on him. Yet I was real antsy about throwing a leg over. I took him home and rode about ten minutes. Koda was great, but I was… well I was nervous. My confidence level was low. A short while later our friend Coralee (excellent horse person) was down for a few days and she put a few hours on him and even got me riding a bit. But in the back of my minded was this cloud of apprehension. Day before last Art called and asked me to go on a round-up. He sort of asked me, but it was more of a convincing me to ride Koda on this cattle round-up. I wavered in my going or not going…. But like the friend he is he persevered and along with Judi’s push (even though it was her birthday) I finally went (I thought it was my idea). Those two are good!

Well, today I conquered my fear. I still have respect, you need that, but I’m over my hesitation. Koda was great! Six to seven hours in the saddle, brush popping cattle can work wonders for both your confidence and your horse.

Then to top off the day (Judi’s birthday) a dear friend of ours, Trevor dropped by with a card and flowers for Jude. Wow, we were almost in tears. Thoughtfulness is a gift! So to all of you who have changed our lives for the better ….. THANK YOU!

No comments: