Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Sad Day


A few days ago I went for that "walk" with two of our horses. That "walk" where three of you go out and only one returns. I hate those walks, but some times things are difficult on the farm. Unfortunately, Gracie's leg was not improving, in fact it grew worse with the passing of each day. She limped continually and had to spread out her legs to eat. The reason I put her mom down was that Liberty had poor conformation, some pretty bad habits and was basically untrained. She was for all intents and purposes - useless. If I had allowed her to live after taking the foal she would of suffered needlessly. Some mares even go so far as to have a mental melt down. All in all it needed to be done. It is not like we have unlimited resources to feed horses that will never amount to anything. As hard and cold as that sounds, it is reality.


I know that I will have to take this walk again, both with our old dog and my old gelding. Jessie we've had for 14 years and Bud has been my horse for going on twenty years. That my friend will be a sad day indeed.

3 comments:

The Meier's said...

Sorry you had to face the harsh reality of living on a farm. What a sad day I am sure that was. They will be missed. The day you have to put Jessie and Bud down will be an even harder one. Wish we could be there in person to show our support. One good thing is you are having to do the "walk" with them with good memories of a full loved life. As companions they surely served their lifes purpose!

The sometimes Irreverant Ed Brouwer said...

Sure do appreciate your comments. I sometimes wonder who raised you to be so perceptive and wise at your young age. You must have wonderful parents ;)

Rosie said...

Hey I just read your "A Sad Day" Man that must of been hard! You get so attached but like Rebecca said "that's the reality of living on the farm" I'm thankful my kids got to enjoy Gracie and Liberty when we visited with you guys! That was such a neat experience for them! That day will be hard again when it's Jessie's and Bud's turn but the Lord will give you strength on that walk and you won't be alone, the Lord will be with you when it is that time. Just think of all the cherished memories you have of the enjoyment that they brought. I wish I was there to give you a hug and to say it's okay!
Love ya!