Saturday, August 4, 2007

"Horse Whispering"

Every once in a life time you meet people with an extraordinary gift. Last week I watched with awe as my six year old grandaughter called our new foal in from the field. She had "Rummy" standing nose to nose with her. Mercedez asked, can you do that Opa? I had to admit the foal wouldn't do that for me. She asked then, "Do you know how I do that?" Again I replied, no. She said, "I would tell you, but it is a secret".


Over the next few days I discovered her secret... she sang to the filly. She'd stand very still by the fence and in a quiet, reasuring, voice she sang, "Be still little one, be still little one...." over and over. This sweet melody had an amazing effect on the filly. Her movements and body language were all in wonderful harmony, producing a world of peace and serenity.

2 comments:

Becky Wolfe said...

How sweet is that! I'm sure that she inherited the family singing vocal chords!

The Meier's said...

That's my girl!!! I am so glad she has the chance to spend time at your place and be with the horses! I know she truly loves them!
Thanks for being such wonderful grandparents to my kiddos!